About this Blog

I spent the last year blogging HERE about what has gone WRONG in politics and society, with the hope of waking people up and mobilize to really change things for the better. Since that didn't work, I have decided to spend this year blogging about what has gone RIGHT in the world, in hopes of inspiring more of the same.

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Kahn Academy

I admire anyone who takes on the arduous and relatively low paying task of educating our nations children.

Teachers today literally hold our future in their hands.

However, I hold a special place in my heart for teacher who are uniquely gifted in their ability to instruct and inspire.

And, I have often thought how wonderful it would be if there was a way to clone or leverage the best teachers so that so many more students may be blessed.

As it turns out, in my quest to further my own education and brush up on my math and economics and computer programing skills, a friend pointed me to just such a gifted teaching site.

It is called Kahn Academy, and it is self-described as: "...a non-profit educational website created in 2006 by educator Salman Khan, a graduate of MIT and Harvard Business School. The stated mission is to provide 'a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere.'"


I have only been a student of the academy for about two weeks, but I can already tell from my experience that it goes well beyond living up to its self description, and surpassed my high expectations. The teaching style is interesting, very informative, easy to follow, and more than a match for my learning disabilities. I now understand aspects of algebra and micro economics in a couple of sessions that I failed to fully grasp during whole semesters at college.

And to think that it is freely available to the world, and is a great resource for home schooling and public schools alike.

With all the legitimate concern about the failing U.S. education system, it is good to know that there are individuals like Sal that offer proven solutions, and bring much good into the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment